Skip to main content

Renter's Insurance: Worth It or a Waste?

Maybe you just moved out of your parent's home for the first time and you're leasing a new apartment. Maybe you've been renting a unit in a duplex for the last 7 years. Maybe you live with your sister temporarily. Do you need renter's insurance? My answer? Yes. I'll explain why.

Your Stuff is Worth More than You Think

Just because you don't own your home, it doesn't mean your belongings aren't worth replacing. If you've been accumulating over the years, your stuff could easily be worth $10,000 per main living space- at least. Even if you're just starting out and don't have much to your name, you will! You have furniture, clothes, appliances, tools, TVs, computers, and random decor from Homegoods and Ikea. And how did you get all of those things? You spent money. Wouldn't it be nice to have it all insured?

Your Landlord's Policy Doesn't Cover Squat


It's a common myth that a landlord's insurance policy will extend coverage to you. It doesn't. Your
landlord's insurance covers them and them only. If their building burns down, their insurance will not pay to replace your things. The same goes for any roommates you may have. If your roommate has a policy but you don't, you're still left in the dust as far as coverage goes.

You Don't Have to be a Millionaire to be Sued Like One


Another common belief is that you don't have any chance of being sued if you don't own a home. Renter's insurance doesn't just insure your stuff, it insures you! If your cranky neighbor sues you because your dog, Lacy, gave him love bites because she was so excited to see him (yes, it happens), you have liability coverage under a renters policy to help with that! If you don't, then you're left to figure it out on your own.

It's Cheap


More often than not, a renter's policy hardly costs more than $100 a year. That's about $8 a month. Your coffee from Starbucks costs you more than that every month. For the kind of protection renter's insurance can provide, it's worth it. Besides, in the event that you lose everything, you won't miss the $8.


Do you think renter's insurance is worth it? Why or why not?


*All mentions of insurance coverage are only applicable or pertaining to the State of CT. This blog is not a substitute for knowledge of your personal or commercial insurance policies and all questions or concerns should be addressed directly with your insurance agent. No coverage can be confirmed unless discussed directly with a licensed agent in your state.* 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things I Love About My Job

I am blessed to have a job that I love. Each day is a chance to succeed and I am truly thankful that I decided to enter the insurance industry in the first place. I ended up in the industry like many others: accidentally. It was the summer after I graduated high school and I was sleeping in, like most 18 year-old girls do. I received a call from my mother who worked for a local insurance agency. She was frantic, telling me to hurry up and get dressed because the agency was looking for a new service rep and she wanted me to interview with them in the coming hour. I put on the most professional dress I owned, went to the agency, and the rest is history. Since that summer so many years ago and since learning much about the industry, I have been delighted to become a part of the team at Independent Insurance Center, Inc. When I decided to reflect on my favorite things about this job, I didn't find it difficult at all. 5 Things I Love About My Job 1) The Building When yo...

Top Mistakes When Shopping for Insurance

Something about the warm weather makes my phone ring off the hook with folks who would like a new insurance policy. Some customers are buying their first home, a new car, and others just got an itch to look around. Regardless of why, they all have something in common: they need help. When you've never done it before or haven't done it since 1987, shopping for insurance is a headache that you just want to be done with, or so you have been told. In your search, make sure you don't make the top 3 mistakes below! Calling One Insurance Company When you are standing at the grocery store, staring at the multi-vitamin selection in front of you, most likely you are trying to decide which brand to choose. There will always be some people that just grab the first bottle of vitamins they see without paying attention to what kind they are. But for many of us, we really ponder what we're purchasing. You need to read the bottle and see what's being provided to you...

Jump Start Your Day with this Simple Smoothie!

Oh the morning. Whether you love it or hate it, getting started for the day should include a breakfast that will be filling and energizing. Some love to sit down to a classic dish of eggs and bacon. Some prefer yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, granola, or just a cup of coffee. But what about avocados? "Breakfast is everything. The beginning, the first thing. It is the mouthful that is the commitment to a new day, a continuing life" - A. A. Gill Avocados are a super food. They are chalk full of healthy fats and they help with nutrient absorption. They also strengthen your immune system and have anti-inflammatory properties. The list of benefits is pretty extensive. In my opinion, an avocado a day is even better than an apple a day and will certainly keep the doctor away! But other than chopping an avocado for a salad or guacamole, how can you make sure you're getting enough of it's green goodness? Breakfast. Yep, you read that right. Recently, I've discovere...